Monday, April 30, 2007

Welcome to Radical Concepts

Hello! Since we're just getting started, I'd like to say a few things about what I would like to see this blog become. I have never been one to shy away from voicing my opinions, and I do have quite a few, but I try to support them with whatever reasoning I can come up with. I welcome different opinions, as that is the best way to explore any issue, but please try to support your thoughts with sound reasoning. I don't mind people poking some fun at each other (as long as it's good-natured and not vitriolic) and a spirited discussion can be pretty interesting, but if things start getting too heated, or personal attacks or flaming starts to creep in, I'll ask the parties to cool down a bit. If that is not enough, I'll be forced to start moderating the posts, and I'd really rather not have to do that.
You may not agree with my point of view, and I with yours, but that doesn't mean these various ideas aren't worth sharing. I'll try to see it from your viewpoint, and all I ask is that you give mine a little consideration, too.
As for language, although I'm hardly squeamish about cursing, having been in the Army for several years, I do not think this is the place for it. My basic guideline here is to adopt the same tone and ettiquette that you would use when talking to your grandmother. Or if your grandmother cusses a lot, then default to what you would say when talking to MY grandmother, who I've never heard curse at all, and is fully deserving of your respect.
Those are the basic rules of conduct, if you will. As for subject matter, I'll be opening up threads on such things as art, writing, design, business, entertainment, science fiction, and whatever else seems worthy of a discussion. Feel free to suggest your own topics, but please bear in mind that politics and religion are subjects that can easily turn otherwise civil people against each other, so let's try not to get into that too much. There are plenty of other forums for those discussions.
I hope everyone will accept my opinions as just that, my opinions, and not take too much offense if they clash with their own. Maybe you'll change my mind, and maybe I'll change yours, but at least we'll have a chance to examine each issue from more than one point of view. So keep an open mind, and I'll try to do the same.

No comments:

.Take a look at our official (yet still fun) newsletter